3.23.2009

Running upstairs

Eli had understood for some time that he had a birthday coming up and that he was going to "free-years-old". He also believed that when that day would come he would be a "big-big boy". Some where in between all of this conversation with our almost 3-year old boy and that birthday, Eli had become fascinated with running up the stairs. He thought it was hysterical when I would run upstairs holding him in my arms as he bounced and laughed the whole way. At other times Eli would look at me with wonder when I would make it to the top and he'd still be on the third step. He would tell me that he wanted to run up the stairs too, but that he needed to be "a lille-billit bigger" (which means a little bit bigger in case you didn't catch that). So when the morning of Eli's third birthday came, he shouted "I'm free-years-old! And I'm a big boy!". With that he went running to the stairs claiming that he was going to run up them. I ran too, wondering what was going to happen. Eli took the first step fairly quickly, then came to an abrupt halt where he surprised himself by having to walk up the next steps. I heard our Eli say quietly to himself, "ohp, I need to be a lille-billit bigger."
Just so you know, I won't tell you every precious Big Boy story about Eli but since he had a birthday I thought I could get away with one. :)

Here are some pictures from the birthday party--Enjoy!


Eli and Henry made birthday crowns with Grammy.


Uncle Sammy, Seth, and Great-Grammy having fun with the kids.


The story behind this picture is that both Norah and Silas think that Grampy is pretty special-- and they don't always want to share him!


Story-time with Mi-Mi.


Henry working hard to get his hooter to work.


More hooter fun.


Eli with his Papa ready to open presents!


Silas snuggling with Aunt Shana.


Lots of fun presents! Silas fulfilling his Little Brother duty by "helping" Eli.


Jon is wearing part of Henry's pirate costume.


The boys opening their tricycles!


Silas with Pop-Pop


The cousins had a blast- see them all crowded into the hallway?!


For the very first time we had a Kids Table for Emma, Eli, and Henry!!


Eli wearing a t-shirt we got in CA at the Festival of Whales.



Eli's tricycle was the highlight of the night.


The Moms- and their cakes.


Happy birthday to you!


Eli's cake was my Grandma's chocolate cake and frosting recipe- it tasted like my childhood (and I still love it!).


Eli loved it too!

6 comments:

  1. NICE COOL CAKES!!! WE LIKE CAKE!!! Happy Birthday ELI!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW Technical Tricycling in a stairway?? 8th pic up!! 8o)WOW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did Eli go shopping with the birthday $ we sent or does that go into a savings account? Looks like a wonderful party. Thanks for sharing the pix. Silas is growing too fast ! Loved Eli's birthday story, too! Aunt Martha & Uncle Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! You all look great, and Reid's birthday cake did not look like that :)! The pictures really made me jealous that we cannot join you on these occasions. Why do we live so far apart? Love you (and Eli's gift is on the way...)
    Charlotte and the rest

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun to feel like we are a part of the special "doings" with your story and the pictures! I can just picture Eli saying "lille billit"! What an adorable ring bearer he will be!! We love you all!

    ReplyDelete